Monday 23 April 2012

Can I have a stick of your OAP rock please?


Well, had a cracking weekend in Norwich with Charlotte for the concert.

We went to the Waterfront venue to watch Twin Atlantic, being supported by ME the band, and Lower than Atlantis.

Allow me to give you my thoughts on the bands, well, I'm going to anyway.

ME, well they were first on, with the least amount of people watching so you kind of know what to expect, or do you? Both me and Charlotte thought they were excellent. To make it harder for them, and I know it’s not the first time they have taken to the stage, but it is at this venue, so they don’t know the crowd, they had to cope with 3 power outages towards the end of their set, nightmare! They coped admirably, as during one of their songs they get three people drumming and it sounded wicked, and that is how they got through the second power outage, a drum solo, and it got the crowd on their side. The last power outage nearly done for them but fortunately they had won the crowd already and it was the shortest of the power breaks, so they got the last song done. It seemed to me that the last break did them some good in as much as they really put their all in to the last tune and it sounded superb. I would recommend seeing this new Australian band live if you get a chance. The bass player, who performed in bare feet for reasons only known to him, had a slight style of Mick Khan (Japan) bass player about him, which is certainly no bad thing.

ME The band @ Waterfront Norwich

The singer had a presence on stage and was full of confidence, and reminded me slightly of Billy Mackenzie (Associates) in his vocal style. He gave a lot of energy to the part considering the size of the stage the first 2 bands get at the Waterfront, all tucked up at the front.

The drummer was one of the 2 to keep the gig alive when the power went off. He was, as you would expect from a drummer, full of energy, and did the odd trick, flicking his drum sticks in to the air, which is a very brave thing to do when next to no one has come to see you.

The lead guitarist joined the drummer to knock out a heavy beat at one time, but otherwise, he just put in a good performance on the far side of the stage from us.

After their set me and Charlotte made our way to the other side of the venue so Charlotte could see if she could get any autographs. We hung around near the merch stand for a few minutes when she spotted the bassist. He duly obliged her with an autograph, and a quick chat; then she spotted the lead guitarist who did the same for her. Top blokes in my book.

She bought their album which was on sale at the gig and is now a bit of a fan, I think it's called public relations.
If I had to say an if you like so and so you will like ME, then it would be Muse, very much so.

2nd on stage was Lower than Atlantis. These boys needed little or no introduction to the crowd as a good percentage of the people had come to see them it seemed.

Lower Than Atlantis @ Waterfront Norwich

Brash and full to the brim with confidence is all that needs saying about these boys, oh, and loud, really loud, well I am nearly 50!

These fellas got the mosh pit really rocking, and the whole place seemed to be one trod on toe away from a full on punch up, which, I think, is just what the band wanted, not the punch up, but the edgy feeling. Although this band was my least favourite of the evening I still enjoyed their energy, and I can absolutely understand why people love them.

Last, but by no means least, Twin Atlantic, the whole point of the journey to Norwich. They rocked, although nothing like their album they were still very good. If you listen to their album Free, although it is still without doubt rocky it’s a lot more subdued than they were live. This is almost definitely due to the over production you get with a studio album and all the instruments blending perfectly. Live, it’s like a fee for all, which I suppose it is really. The main problem with them though was distortion on the singing, caused by a poor mic I think, because even though the singer was singing louder than he may really have felt comfortable with, and that’s only my opinion, he still sang well. I've seen bands in the past who really should never be allowed near karaoke let alone a live stage with a paying audience.

Sam McTrusty, the singer with Twin Atlantic can definitely hold a tune, even when competing with substandard equipment. Unfortunately I have no photo of Twin Atlantic, due to me taking some terrible photos, the above 2 being the best of a very bad bunch.

So, would I go see them again? Yes, except maybe Lower than Atlantis, having said that, if they were the support band it wouldn’t stop me going.

Charlotte enjoyed herself, and let’s be honest, it was for her really, but, having a daughter with the same taste in music is a right bonus.

AGED ROCK RIGHT ON!

No comments: