Monday 22 May 2023

Pavement Pasodoble

 You know when the pedestrian telepathy fails, when you’re walking along the path and you have that moment when you both end up doing the ‘sidewalk shuffle’, and for some reason it seems to take an age to get out of the, ‘I’ll go left and so will they.

Sorry.

I’ll go right, and again, so do they.

Sorry (slightly embarrassed now).


Well what’s the worse that can happen, an embarrassed smile, a chuckle, an annoyed glance, the merest brush of shoulders.

Well when it’s a pedestrian and a bicycle, that’s a whole different ballgame.

That happened today, yes, to me obviously.

Walking home from the school run and a young lady (girl) (is it even PC to assume a gender now? Oh who cares) cycles towards me, not overly fast but maybe a bit quick for the path, when yes, the telepathy fails us both.

She wobbles to the left, then the right, I’m really trying to keep out of her way as she looks hardly in control of her bike, I stop, it’s all I can think of doing as we were closing in on each other at a rate of knots.

Sorry, I mumble, as she glances desperately at me, it’s a funny look really, probably made worse by the angle she’s at, I would guess 45 degrees. 

And down she goes, still, at least she’d slowed down somewhat, thus reducing the scuffidge from forward momentum, this was just sideways. She’s probably had worse grazes, a bit of TCP and you’ll be as right as rain.


Anyway, enough silliness, have a fabulous day

No comments: