Tuesday 17 June 2014

Put the medics on standby

So, BUPA London 10k done, and a fair bit more running since to boot.
Me and the kids made the trip to Greens Park for the London 10k, it was great that they came with me, as I really enjoyed the occasion more with them.
This was the first major event I had taken part in, and boy was it fun. By major, I mean national. I did the Sudbury fun run which was my first organised event, and was awesome in every way.
I did my best 10k time at the event, beating my previous best by about 6 minutes, taking it below 1 hour for the first time.
The weather was great for the race, not to hot, but some very pleasant sunshine, and London looked great.
Being cheered along the route by thousands of people is just amazing, and with my name on my charity vest, having them shout your name, is at first, a little disconcerting, and embarrassing.
 Crossing the line in front of Buck House I managed to catch site of the kids straight away, meeting up after was the biggest worry, even though we had planned every eventuality, things, can, and usually do, still go wrong, but not this time.
It actually felt a little bit emotional finishing and seeing them waiting for dad. As strange as it might sound it really brought home being a parent, and how great it is. Text the good lady straight away, she text back telling me how proud she was of me, another moving moment.
I managed to raise, online and offline £260 for Alzheimer's Research, which was fantastic. A massive thank you to all who sponsored me.
Now that the injury is cleared up (I stretch more now) I get out and about again during the week, and get out on a Sunday for a longer run, now and again with a running friend Lisa. We seem to be about the same speed, although she can keep going for a bit longer than me. She is introducing me to longer distance, I think its called torture by others, she calls it training.
She's entered me into the Ipswich half marathon in September and will no doubt use this as an excuse to drag me even further round the countryside, I don't mind really, we get along great and have a natter whilst she introduces me to new hills.
New jobs going OK, I have this week off, holiday. Not going far though, just a week off. I will probably try to fit a bit more running in while I'm off.
New bike hasn't had a lot of use yet, unless you call using it once a lot, in which case its been non stop, but, it's there when I want it.

On to other subjects now, well, one other subject.
Really enjoying listening to music again at the moment, there's some cracking stuff released recently, should I name them? Yeah, of course I will.
I wont review them, suffice to say I love them.

Echo and the Bunnymen have a new album, Meteorites.
Jack White, new album Lazaretto.
Pixies new album, Indie Cindy
The Horrors album, Luminous
The National album, Trouble will find me.

All fab albums and all well worth a listen, then you can make your own mind up about them. Enjoy!