Sunday 26 February 2012

I will miss you mate

Got in from work this evening to be told one of my oldest friends had died overnight. 48 years old, a real loss, we may not have seen each other as much as we did but he was the most consistent friend anyone could want. If I needed something or he needed a lift somewhere we could rely on each other. Friends don't need to see each other all the time, actually if you don't see much of them but can still rely on them it means more. He was one of the longest surviving kidney transplant patients and had a really rough time recently but always seemed to face up to it.
Fortunately he had a great family around him, a loving and caring family who he always defended to the bitter end.
I will miss Alan, I will really miss him.
He was outspoken, and would quite happily give as good as he got to whoever needed telling.
One of the funny things about Al was just how crap he was at spelling, he didn't care, he knew what he wanted to say, and you could usually read what he typed, but if you couldn't tell he didn't care. I only hope, and I'm sure his mum won't mind this tongue in cheek comment, he didn't make up his own plaque, for the headstone.

1 comment:

Stuart said...

Now that is really sad news. Alan was the Funniest Grumpy bloke I ever met!!! He was just brilliant and, considering all he had to go through, he had a brilliant outlook on life. I shall remember him fondly.