Tuesday 14 February 2012

Whats that coming over the hill is it the taxman!

Three weeks today, of not smoking, I think we have done well. It was the case a week or so a go that when I was on my four days off it was really tough to get through without a lot of cravings, but not anymore it would seem. It really does seem to be getting easier.
Now and again you see something in the news which just gets you angry, we all do it I'm sure, well today I saw something which made my blood boil.
It seems that football teams can, if they so wish, totally ignore any tax bill that needs paying. Rangers FC in the SPL owe the taxman around £49million, it begs the question, how? What did the tax bill do, creep up on them? How can a company possibly owe the taxman that much money and still be trading. If it was a high street company they would have been wound up long ago. If you or me owe the taxman any amount of money, you would be in court, followed very closely by prison.
Just have another look at the amount Ranger FC owe again, £49million, not £4.9million, or £.49million, no, £49million, and the figure could be higher. It also turns out, according to Sky sports news that since the new owner bought the club last year they owe £9million in unpaid tax. Obviously these figures are all based on what i see and hear on the TV and radio.
So, what happens now, well from what I can tell, they now go to court and come to an agreement with their creditors, HMRC included, and offer them a certain amount in the pound, so we as tax payers bail out a team we have no allegiance with.
This government we have tell us daily that they are intent on clawing back unpaid tax, overpaid benefits and other monies that are owed by us, but seem to be allowing these football teams to just flout the tax law when they like.
Portsmouth FC are also looking to enter administration for the 2nd time, again for unpaid tax, how can that be the case. Surely when they went into administration the first time the agreement should have been reached to repay at a reduced amount, miss it and go under, or not. Miss it and just go back to court and agree again to pay a reduced amount.
I also noticed with regard Rangers FC that the extra punishment they will receive will be a 10 point penalty taking them from 2nd in the SPL all the way down to, erm, 2nd, wow, some punishment. Portsmouth's 10 point penalty takes them in to the scrap for relegation.
I love football, but I also hate having to bail out banks and football teams, because, if they don't pay we have to pay more, it stands to reason. As I say, I love football, but lets just let one of these teams just go to the wall. I know that would upset a lot of supporters, and I really would feel for them, but come on, it cant continue, can it?

No comments: