Saturday 4 February 2012

A trip with my son, and an insulted women

Woke this morning, at 10am, after the last night shift of this 4 only to be informed by Sam that shes struggling today, grim!
Four days off and it looks like the 'come on start again, you know you want to' devils have started. We knew it wouldn't be easy so we are ready for the battle, we have our lozenges, really awful tasting, we have our willpower and we have the fact that we have done a week and a half, so why go back now.
I, actually don't feel to bad as it happens, and Sam is still cheerful, so she's fighting back.
How does it feel today giving up? It feels a bit strange, you kind of know something is missing, but don't want to admit to it, after all the only things missing are, wheezing when you go for a walk, puffing and panting when you walk up stairs, spending quite a bit of money each month on stuff you set light to, and also, standing in the same place once every hour or so, ridicules.
Its really hard to describe the feeling of craving, but I think writing about it has helped us. Its like an overpowering urge to do something but telling yourself you must not give in, I suppose that's just a definition of craving, but its how it is. The feeling seems to remain strong but the time it lasts diminishes to a more controllable level.
When you crave a smoke the feeling is all in your head, but when you are hungry for something the feeling is in your stomach, its really weird.
Took a nice leisurely stroll into town with my son today, a rare treat indeed for me as a parent.
There was a stage where we almost threatened to break into a conversation, hard to believe I know, but as rare as hens teeth due to the fact that we hardly see him.
Went out to Pets at Home just now with the hound, managed to insult a women without even trying. It went along the lines of. She walked past me and Indy just as I was about to start talking to the dog (Indy).
Me, "I was just about to start talking to the dog but thought I should wait until you've gone by or I'll look mad".
Her "Who's mad, me?"
Me "No, me for wanting to talk to the dog".
Her "Oh, I thought you was talking to me"
Me, "No, if you was mad I wouldn't tell you anyway".
The feeling of, pass me the shovel I'm sure I can dig this hole a bloody site quicker with that flashed through my mind, fortunately she was a nice pleasant person, who took the unprovoked, unfounded and indeed unintended insult with good spirit, we said our goodbyes and I started my conversation with Indy, bliss.

No comments: