Monday 8 July 2013

One for sorrow

Went out for a very nice stroll in the countryside with Sam and the dog yesterday evening, a little cooler, but still nice.
Anyway, near the end Sam pointed out a magpie on a log on the floor, chatting away to another magpie some few yards away. We stood and watched for a few moments, and I thought I would join in. I attempted to miminc the magpies call, but just really succeeded in making the noise humans make when calling a cat. That pursed lipped high pitched noise. 
The magpie called back, so, overjoyed at my Dr Dolittle moment I carried on the conversation. The other magpie was answering as well, or so I thought. After a few minutes I kind of realised that, neither bird was answering me, they was just talking to each other.
First bird. Can you hear that fat bloke, making that god awfull noise.
Second bird. Yeah, I'll bet you anything he thinks he's taking to us, keep it up.
First bird. Yeah, what a twat, better watch out though, if he keeps making that noise this field will be full of cats very soon.
I pointed this fact out to Sam, at least I cheered someone up, and I thought I was so clever.

No comments: